Re: The Core and the Kernel

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> Probably.  Vanilla SCSI support doesn't really take up much space (it's
> like 5K or something if you leave out verbose errors), it is the modules
> that take up space.  Redhat manages to fit them all on one disk, maybe we
> can too.

Debian's kernel will see SCSI disks too. It is on one disk. They provide
an additional diskette with more modules that are not part of the default
kernel. Caldera does the same thing.  You end up with two floppies but
most need only one. You use the second floppy for installing modules for
your ethernet card usually.

> VGA16 would have to be the only generic one.  But X servers aren't so big,
> you could bring VGA16, SVGA, S3, and Mach64, that ought to cover most all
> modern systems.

My opinion is to have a "pretty" VGA default.  Most of the default X
servers are WAY too plain-jane.  I am not talking about neon or anything
but we should be able to build a much nicer desktop for VGA16 than any
provided so far.

Anyone want to take that as a project?

I have been looking at Debian's fvwm2 setup and there is something that I
REALLY like about it.

Install fvwm2 and look in /etc/x11/fvwm2 and look at all the hooks for
vendors.  init-restart.hook, init.hook, main-menu-pre.hook,
main-menu.hook, menudefs.hook, menudefs.hook, post.hook, pre.hook,
restart.hook

You can completely configure the look of your menus in those files.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org