Re: Applications Packages

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Kai Wetzel wrote:

> > I will try to get someone that is familliar with the
> > building Debian packages over hear to act as a tutor.

My spelling sucks ... anyhow ... I will ask Orn Hansen if he would be
interested in providing s run-through on building a debian package.

I will let the lists here know once 2.0 is released.  The workload usually
goes like this ... big frenzy to get all packages compliant with the new
release then traffic starts to die down as that work wraps up. Then trafic
begins to build again as users start, on their own, to migrate to
the new version and bugs are noticed. Once that starts to fall off, an
official announcement is made that the new version is officially beta and
a migration procedure is released. All hell then breaks loose for a few
days until enough users have done this that they can start answering their
own questions on debian-user. More bugs are usually found as more hardware
is brought into the mix. Once these are under control a formal release is
made with the symlink to stable moving to the current release, a copy is
made of stable and unstable pointed at that a codename is chosen for the
next unstable and work begins anew.

In the past there have been very chaotic changes ... a.out to elf, then
1.2 to 2.0 then libc5 to libc6. It is hoped that 2.0 -> 2.2 will not be so
painful.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org