Re: I think It was Peter Luka's install abstraction proposal...

Sorry, I've been out for a while.  But I'll respond to the few pieces sent so
far now, add a few new ones, and redirect topics a little so we can get the
most out of these dev lists.  (And yes, it's really me; I figured I may as
well use some caps and make more use of my mandatory 7|8 bits/char.)

So, regarding the whole abstraction idea, that was an overall system
abstraction proposal, which is pretty much the definition of the [badly-named]
seul-dev-admin group.  So I'll respond to this in detail on that list.

Talk of window mgrs and other ui requirements will go to seul-dev-ui.

And I'll send another piece of mail to this list in a moment, for initial
brainstorming about the installer...

As we're doing all this, I'll be keeping an eye on how this 6-module
abstraction works in practice.  Note that one kinda muddled thing I've
noticed so far will be UI for the installer.  My position on this is that
we should keep that inside the installer group for now, since it would
take a LOT of work at this point to develop installer UI based on a
yet-to-be-designed UI targeted for the runtime system; a common
install/runtime UI would be ideal, but would be hopeless to chase after
right now.  So expect to see installer UI discussion on seul-dev-install,
and remember this is separate from the runtime UI discussion on seul-dev-ui.

 Peter Luka            ...            luka@mit.edu
 SEUL Project development leader/systems architect
               http://www.seul.org