Re: I think It was Peter Luka's install abstraction proposal...

   Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:03:05 -0700
   From: Micah Yoder <yoderm@geocities.com>
   Sender: owner-seul-dev-install@belegost.mit.edu

   jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

   nothing worse than having a beginner clicking on a menu entry and
   > seeing than nothing happens.  Redhat's FVWM95 comes with m4 scripts

   One other issue sort of relates to this point.  I've noticed that
   several X programs, when run from FVWM95 menus in RedHat, will do
   absolutely nothing.  A little more probing reveals that they don't find
   all their requirements.  Example: RedBaron doesn't run if you have a 16
   bit color depth.  It puts an error message in a logfile, maybe something
   else if you run it from a command prompt.  But nothing appears when
   running it from a menu.  A few of the games do that too.

   What are we going to do about it?

I have posted about half a dozen times about that problem (always a
pleasure noticing how well people read my postings :-).  It has been
solved in the LST/Caldera distribution: they have managed to intercept
error messages from WM started commands and post them in xmessage
windows.  So the soultion is simple: look how they did.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez