Re: [seul-edu] booting linuxrc - network fails?

> > I'm trying to use a program that allows
> > "ghosting" over UDP to get some machines up and running.  It comes with
> > a modified Suse Linuxrc disk.  Kernel seems to boot ok, but when I put
> > correct network card module in, it says it was successful in loading,
> > but the network card "goes dead".  The instant I load the module, the
> > lights go out on the card.  I've looked all day and tried numerous
> > things, but nothing.  These are Dell P100t dimensions that were just
> > donated to us.  My thought was that it's a PCI auto configure problem or
> > something, but there's no way in the BIOS to even turn PCI off.
>
> PCI is your friend. You don't want to turn it off.
>
> What kind of ethernet cards? (What does dmesg say when the kernel boots.)

RTL8139 - standard card that I've never had trouble getting to work.

> Have you successfully gotten networking working on them when you're
> booting like normal? (Or are they missing drives or something, which
> makes that tougher.)

They are not diskless, but they have no operating system on them.  That's why
I'm trying to run this program to ghost another system.  I boot only from
floppy, the modified Suse Linuxrc disk.  Any other thoughts?

thanks!
Ryan Booz