Re: [seul-edu] CervanTeX needs a wiki, could seul help ?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, lp wrote:

> If you need a wiki page (or pages) I think you are suggesting
> a kind of function that SEUL might want to consider ....
>
> Doug, if SEUL decides to support this kind of activity in the
> wiki, then this adds a whole new dimension to the intended use
> of the wiki that might be useful? Or what do you think?

This was my hoped-for use of the wiki from the start.  A wiki
seems most useful when many people are collaboratively working
on the pages.

> Instead of simply capturing useful information from the
> mailing list and organizing links to software, Manuel is
> suggesting that the wiki could be used for dialogues that
> are related to Linux and education, but that are somehow
> more appropriate for the wiki than the mailing list.

Exactly.  While distilling info from the mailing list and giving
us a good way to list and display educational software packages
are valuable uses, the wiki's greatest strength will be in just
what you've said.

> if there was a section in the wiki for details regarding Linux
> Conferences and InstallFests, then someone could open a new
> wiki page called [Linux World 2000], post a message to the
> mailing list announcing the event and then say "post a
> message on [Linux World 2000] regarding this event", or
> some such thing. All the other related dialogue could go
> on in the wiki.
>
> So, pending Doug's approval, I opened three new pages
> in the wiki just as an experiment:
>
> http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Linux%20Conferences
>
> http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Linux%20InstallFests
>
> http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/CervanTeX

It's fine by me.  Although perhaps the CervanTeX wiki would want
to be under its own section in the wiki rather than under edu.
But that's up to them (and Roger and Bruno, of course).

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.