Re: Thrilling Linux Promath eductaional program

At 07:41 AM 8/2/99 -0700, you (Harry  McGregor) wrote:

>I wonder if we might be able to find a way to emulate (remember, we are on
>486s and up usualy) and apple IIe, and use a disk image (ram disk?) for
>the programs.
>
>This would alowe schools to use the current inventory of apple IIe
>programs.

This is actually off-the-shelf technology. URL
http://geta.life.uiuc.edu/~badger/apple2.html lists existing emulators
(including one for Linux). URL
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/ is a collection of disk
images to use with the emulators, and includes an "educational" directory.

The showstopper for some will be that there's no way to read a physical
Apple ][ 5" disk in a modern computer (Apples used an idiosyncratic format).
There is specialized software to do it, requring a serial connection to an
actual Apple, but I don't have a link handy for that.

I've heard there are now IIgs emulators around as well, but I don't have a
link for that.
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603    	 	        ray@comarre.com