Re: [seul-edu] Using free software after school or at home for education

----- Original Message -----
From: Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>
To: Seul Edu <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: dimanche 27 août 2000 01:37
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Using free software after school or at home for
education

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if parents on the list use free software with/for
> > their kids to help them in education prupose. If so I will be very
> > interested - I'm a parent too - to know how sucessfull they were and
> > how they use the software and computer.  Actually my son is 2 years
> > old and he's very found of computer but well I don't like him to use
> > that so early.
> >

> My opinion is that kids education should be based on normal things:
> - rough sports: tree climbing, bycicling, football (both american,
> european), swimming

Why rough sports? One should certainly be taught the importance of physical
activity but is physical endurance such a necessity?

> - traditional games: monopoly (excellent to get ease at mathematics)

Computers can also provide simulations of this sort and in a manner just as
engaging.

> - love and caresses

yep.

> - constructive games: like Mecanos ( pieces that join into houses,
> windmills...)

Design technology - how about art packages, media presentation tools as
well.

> Computer provide the boys with some special values:
> - The concept cause/effect: Push this button and it shoot missils,
> but only in phases 3 and 4.
> - Resistance and ability for not being easily defeated at first
> attempt.

Ouch! I'd rather teach kids cause and effect using simulation and modelling
software - how about logo for example - and do only boys need to learn this?
Perhaps girls don't need to understand cause and effect above basic cooking
and sewing skills?!!!

> - Abstraction
>
> Computers doesn't provide "social intelligence" , for example.

Really!?

> Although, IRC...could certainly. Has anybody tried to do "guided"
> controlled session on IRC ??

E-mail & wider communications skills, data retrieval, cultural awareness
etc. etc.

> You should care where and how combine thoses ingredients to make
> a "balanced" and healthy ... man/woman!

Just what is a balanced and healthy man or woman then? I'm intensely
curious.