Re: Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Fw: Linux in schools?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:02:23 +1000
Rasjid <rasjidw@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I would like to promote Linux in Schools here.  My idea is to offer a
> 'risk free' approach that allows Schools (and potentially businesses) to
> use a Linux 'application server' in a Windows / Mac environment.
>
> I would like it to provide file sharing via Samba, and to make it
> scalable using Linux clustering.
>
> It is then a matter of finding / creating the tools to make it easy to
> install and administer, and colating appropriate educational software
> together.
>
> Any feedback would be welcome. If you think someone is already doing
> this, please let me know.  If you are interested in helping, let me
> know.  If you think I'm mad, that's okay too, and you can let me know if
> you must, but I'd rather you didn't. ;-)

I think the abuledu project already does part of that, including easy installation,
samba file sharing, network connection, and it provides a lot of nifty
educational apps. However, I doubt it provides win/mac x terminals and
that kind of things, so there is pleinty of room for you to take up some
interesting challenges.

http://www.abuledu.org/

The website is mostly in french, but the software is said to have been widely
translated. I'm sure that the people on the mailing lists can spean english.

Have fun,
--
Thomas Tempé

Advertisement, in the form of the commercial propaganda we know today,
is probably one of the worst things that could have happened to freedom
in a world where the search for material gain is competing with
political involvement.