Re: Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Fw: Linux in schools?

"Thomas Tempé" wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:02:23 +1000
> Rasjid <rasjidw@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to promote Linux in Schools here.  My idea is to offer a
> > 'risk free' approach that allows Schools (and potentially businesses) to
> > use a Linux 'application server' in a Windows / Mac environment.
> >
> > Any feedback would be welcome. If you think someone is already doing
> > this, please let me know.
>
> I think the abuledu project already does part of that, including easy installation,
> samba file sharing, network connection, and it provides a lot of nifty
> educational apps. However, I doubt it provides win/mac x terminals and
> that kind of things, so there is pleinty of room for you to take up some
> interesting challenges.

Take a look at <http://www.k12ltsp.org/>, along with
<http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/IntranetSoftware> and
<http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/AdminSoftware>.  K12LTSP does much of what you're
asking about; the apps on the two SEUL pages (which include AbulEdu :-)) cover a wide
variety of possibilities.

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people