Re: [seul-edu] Hello! (My introduction)

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 09:23pm, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> As directed by the Welcome message, I am introducing myself.

Hiya ;-)

> And my wife and I are beginning to homeschool our five-year-old son. I am
> interested in discussing, programming and finding software that can help
> teach my son(s). Such as software to teach and practice basic math,
> reading, and phonetics (actual talking). We have several Windows-type
> educational programs, but my son's computer runs Debian Linux :)

Not to toot our own horn, but we recently had a 1.0 release of an educational
typing tutor game you may be interested in:
http://www.geekcomix.com/dm/tuxtype/

but that is actually not why I am responding (see below ;-)

> One idea I have is to make a simple X program that displays several words
> (or phrases)  and (using Ogg Vorbis format) says one of the words (or
> phrases). My student can click on the correct choice or click a button to
> say the phrase again. (I need to find a program that can chop up a long
> recording of a bunch of words into several separate ogg files.)

Erm... I actually was waiting until we had something more to announce this
anywhere, but we are actually working on something very much like this.

We have started another educational application (similar to Tux Typing) which
will help children learn how to read. This new application will be called
TuxReader. It will actually use Festival as a speech synthesizer (so there
would be no need to use any pre-recorded words, which makes maintenance and
internationalization /much/ easier).

Anyway, if you are interested in the project (or helping out ;-) you can see
what we have so far at:
http://www.geekcomix.com/dm/tuxread/

(believe me, what we have so far isn't much! The project is only two weeks
old ;-)

--
Sam "Criswell" Hart <criswell@geekcomix.com> AIM, Yahoo!: <criswell4069>
Homepage: < http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/ >