Re: [seul-edu] Hello! (My introduction)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> And my wife and I are beginning to homeschool our
> five-year-old son. I am
> interested in discussing, programming and finding software
> that can help
> teach my son(s). Such as software to teach and practice basic
> math, reading, and phonetics (actual talking).
>
> One idea I have is to make a simple X program that displays
> several words
> (or phrases)  and (using Ogg Vorbis format) says one of the
> words (or
> phrases). My student can click on the correct choice or click
> a button to
> say the phrase again. (I need to find a program that can chop
> up a long
> recording of a bunch of words into several separate ogg
> files.)

Jeremy, take a look at our Languages index
<http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/LanguageSoftware>.  These are
all the language programs we've found for Linux.  Look
particularly at uspell, which is a Perl program that might work
for or be adaptable to work for your example program above.  If
you do hack up such a program, let us know so we can add it to
the listing!

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
dloss@suscom.net    to be relied on in a newspaper.