Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

Matt Jezorek wrote:

> What desktop do you think that should be included. I guess the competiion is
> between KDE and Gnome does anyone have knowledge on what school systems
> perfer. We have not worked with the school systems yet So i am really
> needing feedback from those that are working with them.

I prefer KDE, but a distro should let you choose during installation.
It'd be nice if the installation process could make a recommendation
based on the type of hardware it detects.  KDE and Gnome are very nice,
but not on a 486.

> Both of them have similarities to windows as far as interface so they both
> should feel comfortable to users.
>
> A Question my wife brought up to me was. If all they have in the classroom
> is Linux will they be able to work on windows when they get out of school.
> Now my natural reaction was, "If they can use linux then windows should be
> simple" anyone else got this kind of response when they mentioned it?
>
> -Matt

I get this all the time.  It's not that hard to switch between linux and
windows (except that using windows gives me a headache).  It's my firm
belief that Joe-user doesn't learn how to use Windows or Linux, he
learns how to use applications.  Yet no one ever says "If we teach them
to use WordPerfect, will they be able to use Word when they get out of
school?"

--
Jim Thomas      **    Principal Applications Engineer ** Bittware, Inc
703.779.7770    **    jthomas@bittware.com **  http://www.bittware.com