(FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

From: "Kyle Hutson" <smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us>
To: Jim Thomas <jthomas@bittware.com>, seul-edu@seul.org
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:29:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On 22 Aug 01, at 13:36, Jim Thomas wrote:
> I prefer KDE, but a distro should let you choose during installation. It'd
> be nice if the installation process could make a recommendation based on
> the type of hardware it detects.  KDE and Gnome are very nice, but not on
> a 486.

I agree wholeheartedly.

> I get this all the time.  It's not that hard to switch between linux and
> windows (except that using windows gives me a headache).

There are some things that will drive a person crazy, such as lack of
command-line completion or lack of virtual desktops.  But you're
right, there shouldn't be a large learning curve.

>                                                         It's my firm
> belief that Joe-user doesn't learn how to use Windows or Linux, he learns
> how to use applications.  Yet no one ever says "If we teach them to use
> WordPerfect, will they be able to use Word when they get out of school?"

Oh yes they do.  Join the eSchoolNews.com techintegration list.  It
comes up every 2-3 months - just about as often as the Mac vs. PC
debate.

To me the problem comes with the teaching style.  If we teach the
students *concepts* about word processing (or Spreadsheets, GUIs,
whatever) instead of *keystrokes*, there should be no problem going
amongst several.  I'm afraid we (meaning the education system as a
whole, and even our school in particular) worry too much about our
particular applications, and less about how to learn about an app.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323
smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us                               785-494-8591

----- End forwarded message -----