Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

Samuel Hart wrote:
<deletia>
> It's been my experience (working with technologically illiterate persons, as
> many many Joe-users are) that once you give them a well setup system (and by
> this, I mean a techno-literate person has already set up all the basics for
> them, and has chosen some consistant interface for them) they have the exact
> same troubles using the system regardless of whether it is Linux or Windows
> (or MacOS, or whatever). And in some cases, with a little bit of forsight and
> care, you can actually use the massive configurability of Linux UIs to make
> something easier for Joe-end-user to use.
>
> Case in point: My parents ;-)
<deletia>
> Another case in point: My wife ;-)

My case in point - both have an on-hand person as a captive IT worker
(my family does the same thing).  This lowers peoples threshold for
getting jiggy with the 'puter because they have a walking CYA policy
within phoneshot.  This nonetheless is not the most scaleable solution.
;-)

The other thing I brought up was people who are already hardwired a
certain way...this dramatically can increase the time/effort/other
resource cost, and is not adressable in a one size fits all approach.
And this also does not take into account the magic of the web ;) So much
stuff is platform specific (i.e. Shockwave, .mov files, random
executables that while folks here would find
lame/obnoxious/annoying/security-threatening, most regular folsk are
dying to just open and 'try')

Its not just the behaviour of the UI, but how the UI is tied to a
user(s) expectations.

Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist	|	www.sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems	|	www.linux.com