Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

> I am a firm believer that we teach concepts
> rather than keystrokes.  Many years ago I had
> the occasion to teach 5-8 computing.  We started
> out with PC-Write (shareware) but could not get
> a site license.  Subsequently we got a license
> for Framework IV.

Having supported Framework II, III, and IV, I can
sincerely say "I'm sorry".

>                    My students had to learn two
> different word processors.  The "a-HA" moments
> were many.  "Oh, that is how it works!"  By
> teaching two different programs, I was able to
> give them the tools necessary to figure out any
> word processor.

I like the idea.  I may propose that for our Jr.
High computer apps course.

> Let's face it, Microsoft Word 6 and Microsoft
> Word 97 and Microsoft Word 2000 are all
> different, with different commands, different
> features, and different file formats.  They
> share the name, that's it.

.but the differences from any version to the
next are subtle.  Likewise, if you upgrade from
Office 6 to Office 97, you can just show those
subtle differences, rather than the relatively
large differences (again, in keystrokes, not
concepts) between WordPerfect and Word.

> Does this idea translate into the elementry
> classroom?  I think so. Don't hit them with 5
> programs, but with two.  And maybe the concepts
> learned with groff may be the most basic and
> best foundation for teaching any word processor!
> Set the kids up with EE (easy editor) or Pico or
> VI.  Teach them the concepts as seen with groff
> and memorandum macros.  Good stuff here.  (Ok,
> it won't work for second graders... but it WILL
> for fifth.)

Teaching VI to elementary?  YIKES!  Not
impossible, mind you, but I wouldn't want to take
that "challenge", for those students accustomed to
the ease of any GUI-based text editor.

--
Kyle Hutson
hutsonk@rockcreekschools.org