Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry (SMTP)

> > I don't know if teaching it to students has intrinsic value, but
> > I sure wish I could do it to troubleshoot in MS Word....There is
> > no way on the planet to find out why some things happen....or how
> > to get out of them.

I'm not sure if you should force it upon people -- just as there are basic
and more advanced levels in reading and math, so there are in computer
use.  However, for the curious teachers should definitely be willing to
point their students towards the proper resources (or better yet -- spend
time teaching it to them, if they have the time and knowledge.)

Knowledge without understanding doesn't always apply in the computer
world.  If you can make a webpage without knowing HTML and if you
can view it without knowing HTTP, that's fine.  As with everything in life,
the more you know, the better for yourself -- you're more self reliant.

... and yes, it would be nice to understand why MS Word works the way
it does.  It butchers tables on a regular basis without first popping up the
customary yes-only pop-up of "This will butcher your tables!".

--
--Colin Dellow plarf@moo.ca