Re(2): [seul-edu] [Fwd: [Fwd: M.L.U.G Samba Mandrake 8.0 on NT network]]

Hi

I am using Mdk8.0 on my workstation and I easily could find my printer
using CUPS printer server that comes with Mandrake. Normally, you just
have to point your browser on your machine to http://localhost:631 and you
can manage printers, jobs, etc... with root access.

I easily installed a brand new laser color printer and it works. Easier to
do than with Windows....

And you could also use KUPS (the KDE tool to configure CUPS) with which I
could easily browse any printer on your (samba) network.

And I'm near Montreal too, on the same side of the shore than you
(Terrebonne)

Benoit St-André
IT Pedagogical conseillor
Des Affluents School board
benoit.st-andre@fc.csaffluents.qc.ca

seul-edu@seul.org a écrit:
>Replying to list and Alan as requested ...
>
>First off, I can't speak to the Mandrake printer setup question, but
>knowing the rest of the distro, I'm sure it's quite capable.
>
>You can get around the IP address problem by assigning an IP address to
>this machine in the dhcpd.conf file (assuming that you're using dhcpd on
>Linux to do this, though I'd be shocked if similar functionality didn't
>exist in WinNT). We had to do this at a previous contract when they
>bought a big HP 8550, but for some strange reason decided not to get the
>network option (a simple card).
>
>We assigned that win-box a static ip in the dhcpd.conf file so that it
>would always have the same addy.  Configuring printcap to work with this
>printer was pretty straightforward thereafter.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Pete
>
>P.S. I'm in Montreal if I can be of any help.
>
>On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:32:26AM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
>> From: Gordon Truesdale & Nena Tremblay <truechem@qc.aira.com>
>> To: "seul-edu@seul.org" <seul-edu@seul.org>
>> Subject: [Fwd: M.L.U.G Samba Mandrake 8.0 on NT network]

Benoit St-André
Conseiller pédagogique en technologies de l'information et de la
communication
Animateur,  RÉCIT des Affluents
(450) 492-9400 poste 4536
courriel: benoit.st-andre@fc.csaffluents.qc.ca