From: owner-seul-edu@seul.org [mailto:owner-seul-edu@seul.org]On Behalf
Of Doug Loss
Sent: 27 August 2002 20:31
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities

Here at Bloomsburg we use Linux for our main campus webservers (dual
servers in a HA cluster using heartbeat and DRBD to provide failover and
synchronization respectively), for our main campus LDAP server/mail
forwarder, for our primary DNS server (and eventually for the secondary,
which is currently on an old Solaris box till I get around to replacing
it), for our DHCP/network registration server, for the outgoing SMTP
server for our POP mail users, and for our helpdesk ticketing system.
There are probably a few more servers around, but those are the ones I
have regular contact with.  I know the CS department is working on
setting up a Beowulf cluster in one or another of its courses.  One of
the profs in the Geography dept. was usnig a Linux system for some
satellite imaging he was doing with NASA.  Another prof in the CS dept.
is running sparc Linux on an old Sun workstation.  As I say, there are
probably more systems around that I'm not aware of.  And I'm sure some
of our students are running Linux systems in their dorm rooms.  If you
like, I'll try to get more accurate information from the CS and CIS
departments about what they're doing with Linux.

--
How valuable is my contribution?
Share your feedback at Affero: