Development

Hi.  I just signed onto this list, bounced over from the Linux-K12
mailing list.  We started discussion of a gradebook project for Linux
there, and here's where I wound up.
I haven't lurked for long, so I don't know exactly what you folks have
come up with, but I think it's about the same thing that I thought of:

-- a database backend, handled by a daemon listening to a tcp/ip port
-- a standard protocol, so frontends can be written in any language
capable of handling TCP streams;
-- a Java frontend for architectures without other frontends

My thought was that it would be best to start with a gradebook and
move into administration from there.  It might even be a good idea to
make it modular enough that any one part would not suffer if you did
not choose to use any of the others.  So schools which are already
using something for administration, but do not have anything for
grades, can make the partial switch before committing themselves
entirely to a new program.

Also, (putting myself in the shoes of teachers and administrators) I
would want something that lets me convert between popular database
formats for registration and the linux-based administration tool.

I hope I'm not duplicating too much effort, and I'm eager to help with
anything related to this project I can.

-- a brief description of who I am
An undergraduate student at the University of Oklahoma with a passion
for Linux administration and programming.  Used Linux for 3 years so
far, no intention of stopping.  I have taken Java classes, and I teach
one, so I'm no stranger to it.  Will be researching XML this xmas
break, hopes to start up programming with it by Jan 15.  Already
familiar with mySQL, Oracle, and PHP/3.

The best-

==

-jbd-