Re: Need more pointers and wishes

In a message dated 12/4/98 10:41:47 AM EST, dloss@csrlink.net writes:

<< I'm sure there are some programs that some of us know about that could
 be useful in either institutional or home-based education.  And I
 guarantee there are things people would like to see that aren't
 currently available.  Please send me (privately, at dloss@seul.org) your
 pointers and wishes, and I'll put them together into a weekly list.  Our
 administrative software system is going to be very useful, I think, but
 there are probably some other things we can develop that will be of
 interest too.  Let's think them up and see if we can't make them happen! >>

Doug,

There are a number of both educational programs for Linux and people
interested in finding such programs. I've already pointed out some URLs.
What's missing is a mechanism for sorting everything out, testing the
programs, documentation, etc. If people want this they are going to have to do
something about it. Is there someone who would be willing to organize (lead)
such an effort. Perhaps some of the schools who are interested in Linux would
help out. We have half a dozen or so schools we are aware of. Is there someone
who would be willing to contact the schools and find out if they would be
interested in participating in a program to test, document, whatever. I know
that in the schools local to myself, the students participate in internet
projects. Interestingly the students are taught the meaning of acronyms like
ASCII and SCSI but not GPL. They are required to know the copyright laws but
not the concepts behind GPL. Anyway the free encyclopedia project archives
will be at
(http://lists.styx.net/archives/public/encyclopedia-list/).

1999 The Year Of Linux
Make It Happen