Re: the uses of XML?

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 11:07:49PM -0800, Matt Wimer wrote:

> I am just wondering what the planned uses of
> XML are going to be?
>
> Is is going to be used as a data exchange format?
> Or, is is being used as a data storage format?

you necessarily choose between:

1. storing directly in EDUML  (in my opinion, the best choice if many of us
   do it, because that allows simultaneous access to each other's data from
   completely different EDUML compliant programs)

2. store in some private format and feature import and export in EDUML
   (advantage: freedom for programmer, possible gain in speed;
   disadvantage: can't work simultaneously with other EDUML compliant
   programs due to delay before data is exported again)

3. store in some private format and have no provision for import/export in
   EDUML; (disadvantage: someone has to write a data converter or patch the
   program to import/export later on; advantage: no risk waiting around
   for EDUML or some other XML standard to emerge)

Bruno