Re: Edu howtos

Hi,

I will start document what I discover, and worry about where to put it
later.  What should we do about the proposal of splitting into 2 groups?
Do we have a way to decide this as a group?  I don't see them as wildly
separate, but of course I do see how they can be separted.  I am a little
worried however that we might be a bit small at the moment to split into 2
groups.  Any third oppions?

I don't have any intention to repeat what is already done, but I have often
wanted to do a project and had to track down many different references.
This is expensive and time consuming.  Collecting instructions from several
sources and combining it into a cookbook-explanation on how to accoplish an
specific school related tasks would be helpful to many computer teachers.
I have noticed that computer educational confernces focus on very simple
tasks, for example: how to do email, how to write web pages, how to connect
to a internet provider.  It is rare that a technical network or setup issue
is covered such as not how to set up a student Intranet/Internet site with
class information and discussions.

The problem is that many schools use outside professionals to administer
the computer systems.  And these consultants work mostly with small
businesses, which mostly use wintel computers.  Many other schools have a
full-time teacher who has taken on the computer administration.  In
anycase, I am afraid that there are many schools that won't be able to
handle Linux without some handholding on how to get started and how to use
it educationally.