Re: XML

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 10:08:25PM -0800, Micah Yoder wrote:
> Duane Morin wrote:

> I assume that data created with one toolkit can be read/modified by
> others.  I just don't *quite* understand how this is possible when
> everything is stored in text files, which really would be inefficient
> for a large school.

I already use semi-large text files for my test banks and report cards (not
yet in EDUML format) ... I get around the problem of inefficiency by using
many small files for fast modifications (one for each subject and teacher
and course), and also by concatenating and using grep to quickly extract
only the relevant parts according as raw data for the output needed.  It
keeps the whole process nice and efficient. That is the unix philosophy as I
understand it.  I expect to do the same with XML formatted text files.

Bruno