Re: [seul-edu] Re: perl or......

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> > I'd rather use MS Word (really!).
>
> You simply don't know what you're talking about. (really!)

No. He simply has other preferences.

> > I've not been
> > very impressed with any of the word processors I've seen on Linux yet
> > compared to MS Word.
>
> Word processor ? what for ? A typesetting system is much more advanced.

Once again, no.  A typesetting system has different function; it is more
robust and designed for a different set of problems to solve.
I would not format a textbook in Word, but I would not write a 3 line
memo in with Docbook.

<deletia>
> > I've also offered to write documentation for Linux projects in the past and
> > quickly lost enthusiasm when I found the best tools for writing DocBook
> > documents are emacs and vi.
>
> emacs is as powerful than, let's say: outlook, word, explorer,
> calendar, calc, Visual Shit --.... all together.
> Again you simply don't know what you're talking about.

And you simply refuse to acknowledge that not everyone has to have the
same preferences and ways of dealing with things as you do.  Just
because something has similar features to something else does not
necessarily make an adequate equivalent or usable for the all folks who
need it.

> > I want a WYSIWYG GUI
>
> Only fools prefer WYSIWYG over REAL typesetting systems.

Can you provide some better reasoning than insulting rhetoric?
I prefer GUIs to console for most things, but still do all my editing
and file management in vi and Eterm. Does that make me only a partial
fool?

> >so I can see what my
> > readers will see.  Anything else is a waste of time, IMHO.
> >

> And, this is SEUL, that means that we don't need Microsoft lies.
> Linux is far ahead in terms of _professional_ typesetting.

I think he was referring to his requirements for a tool he needs, not
whether he is interested in the veracity of claims by Bill Gates and his
happy band of Dupes.

> If your needs are the needs of a teenager boy trying to
> do his homework, you don't need a real computer, an old-fashioned
> typewriter or an Amstrad 1512 would suffice.

I don't think you understood the point he was trying to make, nor did
you help.

> For real work ( like real books) LaTeX excels!

Define 'real work' for everyone.

--
Joseph E. Arruda		|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist		|	sourceforge.net