From: Manuel Gutierrez Algaba [mailto:algaba@gmx.net]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 6:59 PM
To: 'seul-edu@seul.org'
Subject: RE: [seul-edu] Re: perl or......

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > How well does Latex work for formatting entire books?
>
> Argggh!  I starting writing a book using KLyX (the KDE front end to
Latex).
> Forget it.  I hate it.

LyX IS NOT LaTeX/TeX.  LaTeX/TeX ***IS ___MUCH___ MORE
THAN LyX***. Certainly, the learning curve is harder, but at the
long term ( 1 year) it PAYS. Word sucks, people report :
- incompatible word documents from one version to the next.
- mismanagement of figures and graphics.
- strange behaviour.

> I'd rather use MS Word (really!).

You simply don't know what you're talking about. (really!)

> I've not been
> very impressed with any of the word processors I've seen on Linux yet
> compared to MS Word.

Word processor ? what for ? A typesetting system is much more advanced.

> And I *have* written 200-300 page books in MS Word
> without difficulty.

>  It's actually pretty nice as it sets up your TOC,
> Index, footnotes, etc. all very easily and largely automatically.  Not
> tooting MS's horn here but just pointing out a big gaping hole that
possibly
> exists in Linux tools.

Ha, ha, ha :))) LaTeX is superb for automatical work. Specially
Tocs, footnotes, margin notes....
<Excuse me , I'm vomiting .... (Word reminds me  the all hard
experiences of life, the null pointer assignments, the
automatical grammar speller  buaaaagggh)>

> I've also offered to write documentation for Linux projects in the past
and
> quickly lost enthusiasm when I found the best tools for writing DocBook
> documents are emacs and vi.

emacs is as powerful than, let's say: outlook, word, explorer,
calendar, calc, Visual Shit --.... all together.
Again you simply don't know what you're talking about.

> I want a WYSIWYG GUI

Only fools prefer WYSIWYG over REAL typesetting systems.

>so I can see what my
> readers will see.  Anything else is a waste of time, IMHO.

And, this is SEUL, that means that we don't need Microsoft lies.
Linux is far ahead in terms of _professional_ typesetting.

If your needs are the needs of a teenager boy trying to
do his homework, you don't need a real computer, an old-fashioned
typewriter or an Amstrad 1512 would suffice.

For real work ( like real books) LaTeX excels!

--
Regards/Saludos
Manolo