Re: [seul-edu] Graphing games

Dave Prentice wrote:

> >    Does anybody know of a game that helps teach coordinate
> >    graphing? I was thinking of something like Battleship that would
> >    require you to specify ordered pairs instead of A4, B6, etc.. It would
> >    be nice too if they could play either against the computer or else
> >    against each other from different computers.

I don't know of any game like this either. Sounds like a good idea.

> Jan Hlavacek wrote:

> ... one thing you could try is to use a drawing program...

You might also try designing an activity using a spreadsheet.
Students would have to type in the x-y coordinates for the grid.
Then you might have them make up their own battleship game or
'treasure hunt' where they have to navigate North, South, East,
West to get from one point to another.

There's a small seabattle game in

  http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/games/strategy/

by Vince Weaver. You might contact him ( weave@eng.umd.edu )and see if
he
could do a quick patch that would print the grid in x-y coords instead
of
A4, B6, etc.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor