Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]]

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 12:17:59PM -0500, Jason Mellen wrote:
> Another thought is working with the Ximian Red Carpet program. Red Carpet
> has a set of "channels" that one can subscribe to each containing related
> packages. It would also allow schools to easily update their software. We
> could develop a School channel with educational software and materials. I
> need to research this a bit more for details but just a thought to put out
> there.

Ximian requires Gnome, correct?  Gnome might not be suitable for some
schools, as I'm guessing they may have some very outdated hardware (Pent-66's
for example?)

We also should try to be as desktop/windowmanager independent
(as well as distribution indepdendent, honestly) as possible...

At least IMUO  (in my uninformed opinion)  :)

-bill!