[seul-edu] Critical Linux in education resources, version 2.0

I've put new/changed ones at the top. Hey BMan, I've added several things
that Red Hat can help with. :) Again, 'M' means missing, '*' means unique.

( ) A centralized place to handle, process, pass off volunteers, and list
    open jobs and undone tasks.
    http://www.linuxhelpers.org/lenpp.html
    Didn't Mandrake make one of these too?
    I'm sure many people did. We need the 'perfect' one. :)

(M) A comprehensive list of LUGs and volunteers at those LUGs who can
    help out locally with schools. Ideally, we should connect these LUGs
    to the coalition, either through keeping a "contact guy" at each LUG,
    or whatever turns out to be best. We'd like to build "press kits"
    and distribute them to LUGs, so they can go in there with convincing
    glossy material.
    Red Hat: Can you help with this?

(M) A set of well-packaged educational application RPMs, which can easily
    be grabbed and installed. Ideally this would end up as "task sets"
    that people can download in bulk when they want to provide software
    for a given situation. Download the road we can start distributing
    these task lists on CD too.
    Much of the work here falls into either making RPMs for things,
    or hacking things so they compile well first.

    See also the thread under
    http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Feb-2000/msg00215.html (we have
    been through this several times before)

    Les: Should we add more entries to the app index, like "Available
    as rpm", "Available as deb", "Ought to be packaged as rpm", etc?
    Maybe eventually we'll have a 'prospective packages' list similar to
    Debian's? Should we consider just reusing their software for this?

    Red Hat: Can you help with this? We need somebody to take this who
    can actually follow through. We feel this is a critical need in the
    community right now.

(M) Publicity aimed not at individuals but at large organizations,
    government, etc. The sort of thing that needs a company behind it
    to be taken seriously.
    Red Hat?

(M) A non-profit organization that can take donations to "Linux in
    Education" and dole them out (eg to get representation at
    conferences). Also solicit wealthy groups who care to pay for travel,
    hotel, etc for such conferences.
    http://www.osef.org/ is working towards 501c3 status
    Did Red Hat ever finish making its nonprofit?

(?) A place that keeps track of who donates computers (eg computerbank),
    and matches them up with schools in that area who need more cheap/free
    hardware. I think there are already many organizations doing this;
    we just don't know about them.

(?) An organization to help with writing and distributing good clear
    press releases, and to go solicit people doing good work to write
    them.
    http://opensourceschools.org?
    Red Hat's PR team? (On the other hand, that seems dangerous?)

( ) A set of collected developers and their projects, working together on
    educational software.
    http://www.seul.org/
    http://www.sourceforge.net/
    http://savannah.gnu.org/
    http://edu.kde.org/projects/
    http://www.ofset.org/
    (these last two are distinct in that they have *only* edu projects)

--- old items are below here ---

( ) A CD of/for education applications.
    http://linuxforkids.com/
    http://ibiblio.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/K12LTSP/

( ) A list of education applications, with evaluations
    (but not at all comprehensive)
    http://linuxforkids.com/
    http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/
    http://richtech.ca/seul/
    http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Software
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/

(*) Linux in education periodic reports. The status on the 'Linux in
    education' scene, including recent discussions, etc.
    http://www.seul.org/edu/reports.html

(*) News and slashdotty-like site for education. Where to go to keep up
    to date.
    http://opensourceschools.org/

( ) Summary case studies of Linux in schools (more of a demographic --
    how many schools are using Linux, at a glance?)
    http://richtech.ca/seul/casedex.html
    http://www.k12ltsp.org/casestudy.html

(M) Indepth case studies. They're in news articles here and there, I
    think. Is somebody keeping track of all of them and keeping it up
    to date?
    http://www.osef.org/
    Riverdale, Beacon, etc

( ) A wiki for discussing education. It's controversial whether it's
    useful, but there seem to be quite a few of them, so hey.
    http://eduwiki.seul.org:8080/wiki/FrontPage and others

(*) A set of well-packaged educational applications, which can easily
    be grabbed and installed.
    These packages are for Debian only. They're also just for students,
    not really for teachers learning Linux or admins using Linux on
    server-side.
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/

(M) A set of collected curricula for teaching various things using Linux
    or other free tools. A place people can go to download 'good' ones.

(M) A place where people can get together and work on new curricula.
    http://itp.innoved.org/wiki/freecourse (?)
    http://richtech.ca/testbank/ (?)

(?) A place for learning and teaching about Linux in schools advocacy,
    presentations that worked, etc.