Re: [seul-edu] Re: Summing up our discussion so far]

Paul Nelson wrote:

> Michael Williams and I have been working on bringing together our two
> K12Linux projects. We'll be working during the next week on a new site
> called K12OS.org. Our initial plans are to run Post-Nuke and have info
> on installing and administering Linux and Open Source software in schools.

Great, Paul!  This is already a benefit from the coalition.  SEUL/edu
had plans to develop documentation for Server and User Workstation
Guides (see our Documentation page <http://www.seul.org/edu/docs/>), but
those never really got off the ground.  We'll happily defer to you on
that.  Bill Tihen <bill@tasis.ch> did most of the work for us on
developing the Writer's Guide we intended to use, and wrote up a set of
document standards for using DocBook to write our documents with the
intent of easily making them available in many different forms.  Bill,
are you still monitoring the mailing list?  Would you agree to transfer
our documentation project to K12OS, at least the hardware and software
configuration parts of it?

As long as I'm considering giving stuff away, I think we'll defer to
OpenSourceSchools on our Advocacy for Linux in Education documents.
David, we don't really have much on the site, but whatever's there you
may have.

The other documents we were planning to develop were User's Guides to
teach people how to use Linux software, and Teacher's Guides to help
show teachers how to effectively use Linux software in an educational
setting.  Larry Prevett has been working on a Math Teacher's Guide
(where are you on that, Larry?), and I don't know of anyone else who has
been developing anything along those lines, so I guess we'll keep that
one for the time being.

> We'd like to keep a links section pointing to SchoolForge and the other
> projects. Please take a look a the graphic we're using at the top and
> bottom of our K12OS.org site. http://k12os.org If you want to suggest
> changes to the graphics and descriptions of your site or if we ever come
> up with a common Open Source in Schools logo we can change and adjust
> this as needed. This site is just up and running but without content.
> (You can do only so much in a 15 recess break!) We're also planning on
> moving this box to a different location so it will be up and down for a
> few days. ;-^)

Umm, I couldn't get anything to display, Paul.  Something about a
missing CSS file.

> We'll be migrating our other pages and content over soon. I can't
> remember who was doing a presentation and needed info by Dec. 6th. Maybe
> you can steal the graphic at the bottom of the page as it has a good
> sampling of the different players in K12OS.

That's Harry McGregor from OSEF.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--