[seul-edu] Re: Summing up our discussion so far]

Hello Folks,

Michael Williams and I have been working on bringing together our two
K12Linux projects. We'll be working during the next week on a new site
called K12OS.org. Our initial plans are to run Post-Nuke and have info
on installing and administering Linux and Open Source software in schools.

Our bent is more along the lines of putting to use OS software as
opposed to actual development. We are working hard to package things for
end users though. The K12LTSP distribution that Eric Harrison has worked
so hard on is a good example of this.

We're excited that the different K12 groups are consolidating their
efforts. I do think this will help us reduce duplication of efforts and
direct users to sites with the resources they need.

SchoolForge.net is a great domain name. A forge is where things get
hammered out and tempered with heat to withstand usage. That's a good
picture of what needs to happen with OSS in schools. ;-^)

We'd like to keep a links section pointing to SchoolForge and the other
projects. Please take a look a the graphic we're using at the top and
bottom of our K12OS.org site. http://k12os.org If you want to suggest
changes to the graphics and descriptions of your site or if we ever come
up with a common Open Source in Schools logo we can change and adjust
this as needed. This site is just up and running but without content.
(You can do only so much in a 15 recess break!) We're also planning on
moving this box to a different location so it will be up and down for a
few days. ;-^)

We'll be migrating our other pages and content over soon. I can't
remember who was doing a presentation and needed info by Dec. 6th. Maybe
you can steal the graphic at the bottom of the page as it has a good
sampling of the different players in K12OS.

Best regards,

;-) Paul
Paul Nelson................................pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale School..............11733 SW Breyman Ave. Portland, OR 97219
(503)636-4511......fax(503)635-6342.....http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us