[seul-edu] More Link Management System

Larry,

Would it make sense to devlop a simpler link system to deploy on
intraschool web servers that doesn't require a
database backend, but simply reads/writes flat files? This would be much
easier to deploy, and might be more widely useful. It would also run on a
wider group of servers including NT.

For this we would need:
a) A script to enter link data into a data file. (UrlAdd)
b) A script to display a web page from the data file.(UrlView)
c) A script to edit/delete links from the data file.(UrlDeled)

The display format would simply be by teacher, category, links.

The structure of the data file would/could be:
a) Name of Link.
b) Description of Link.
c) URL.
d) Category
e) Teacher.

The display script could display: (using a different calling syntax like:
urlview.pl?teacher=fred.)

a) All links of a particular teacher by category.
b) All categories of links (from all teachers.)
c) A particular category only (from all teachers.)

How does that sound? (or do we need something more complicated?)

PS. I can also target the PostgreSQL database with the current perl code
quite easily since I'm currently using the DBI interface to MySQL.

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada