Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge - more inquiry

Jeff wrote:

> I confess - I have been lurking in this discussion for a while and am interested in seeing some of these ideas come to
> fuition.
>
> I teach middle school math. At school we have a Microsoft networks for the entire district and a Linux web server.  At
> home I have a dual boot Wn98/Linux machine, and I confess I have little expertise with Linux - I like the idea of Linux
> (But then, I liked the DOS prompt too..)
>
> As a teacher, I often accumulate my own information for my classes. I have a web page; I have on-line access to student
> grades and student assignments. Where possible I try to link reosurces to lessons. I even have some Perl and Javascript;
> some compiled BASIC and some Visual Basic, and even one or two c++ programs.  (If you are curious, poke around at
> http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath )
>
> I am forgoing lurking status for the following reasons:
>
> -This discussion, quite rightly seems to be focusing on the installation of an appropriate operating package for school and
> classroom networking - No problem.
>
> -There has been some discussion on developing appropriate software related to school administration (grades,
> scheduling, student records, etc.) - No problem.
>
> -There has been some discussion of developing software for classroom use (?)
>
> 	Is there something I am missing, or does this refer to something other than C++ or other compiled programs that
> will run on a Linux machine?
>
> -There has been some discussion of developing software to run on/with Linux (?)
>
> 	Again, is this something different from the question above? Are we to assume that all systems will run Perl, PHP,
> Python? (I'm dropping names mostly - little knowledge)
>
> -There has only been passing reference to web based programs.
>
> 	Since these programs are essentially platform-independent, will they be included - or would it be better to leave
> then for elsewhere? Most of them are freeware...
>
> I offer these only to continue the process - I am not looking for specific answers at this time.
>
> Thanks for the consideration.
>
> Jeff LeMieux

Just a clarification regarding Linux, web based programs and Perl, PHP,
Python.  Many web based programs are written in Perl, PHP, and/or
Python.  PHP even stands for PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.

Perl, PHP, and Python used for web applications in many situations tend
to run well on the Linux and Apache webserver platform.

As this is the seul-edu list, much of the desktop software discussion
does presume Linux as the platform, at least initialy.  A lot of linux
desktop software is portable to other environments, and is complete
source code, not just compiled binaries.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator