Re: [seul-edu] very rough draft of "about schoolforge"

David Bucknell wrote:

> Let me know if you don't like this type of angle. I'm in a hurry and will
> rework it and expand/finish it based on comments before re-presetning it.

I think this is just the tack to take.  I have only two quibbles, which I'll
mention below.

> What's in a Name? By "Piggy-Backing" on the free and open source software
> development site, sourceforge, schoolforge is conceived of as a site where
> schools can be developed.

When you say "piggy-backing" on Sourceforge, it sounds as though Schoolforge
is an off-shoot of Sourceforge, or is in some way related to it.  Perhaps you
could say something like, "By using a name similar to the well-known free and
open source software development site,..."

> Third, the proposed
> settlement of the US vs Microsoft trial, which appears to offer an alleged
> monopoly still more ways to further its grasp, the means being the
> placement of more Microsoft software in schools, galvanized the community
> into action. The establishment of the Schoolforge coalition is our first
> step toward providing an alternative to schools. Its work will be our
> next.

As John Munro said, this sounds too much like a response to Microsoft rather
than the active initiative it is.  Perhaps it might be better to say,
"RedHat's offer of free software to any school that applied, which came up
during Microsoft's proposed settlement of a third-party class-action antitrust
lawsuit, galvanized ..."