case studies and school counts + one idea ( Re: [seul-edu] SchoolCount new page)

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Doug Loss wrote:

> Jen, Karl, Bill, et al.,
>
>    I think it's important that along with Jen's count we get more
> entries to the case studies <http://richtech.ca/seul/casedex.html>.
> Whenever you get a new entry or encourage someone to make an entry, ask
> them to submit a case study too.  Could we also do that for the schools
> that are already listed in the school count (some already have submitted
> case studies)?  Jen, you might take a look at the case studies and add
> the ones that aren't already in your school count.  Now that I think
> about it, if all the entries in your school count also had submitted
> case studies, we could generate the school count from the case study
> database.  That would keep you from having to manually update it.  Jen,
> Karl, would you consider merging these two efforts?  It looks to me as
> though they're prime candidates for such.and sharing the administrative
> load means less work for each of you!

At this point, Doug, and Jennifer, I think merging our two efforts is the
only thing that makes sense, especially with the benefits of gathering and
listing our case studies and school count stats under SchoolForge.Net.

Certainly the more entries we have listed as Case Study submissions, the
more other schools will be motivated to send in their information. And
with more good information in the database, people doing research about
free sopftware in education, or presentations, will probably

Jennifer, let me know what you think, and if you need any more
descriptive-fields than Les has already built into his database of the
Case Study Appdex.

I'd really love to contact the schools in your list and ask them to submit
a case study, if you need any help with that.

An idea: in addition, Doug, I'd like to suggest that we have a page that
is hyperlinked to the Case Study Repository, which is a listing of papers
and research done using data from our case study and school count
databases. I would call this section "Case Study Research" (or something
clever) so we could motivate anyone who does analysis, or uses
statistics/information gathered from our resources to offer something
back.

This way, future generations of grad students can look at other papers,
analyses, publications, projects, or true case studies, that have
resulted from our data, and reference them in their works and studies, and
advocacy efforts.

Let me know if I can clarify.

 -Karl on the 56k.