Re: Open Content Education (was Quiz robot)

Another brief comment. At our school, at least, this is not much of a concern. Here
the administrators have some idea of what is going on with the teachers. Example, we
evaluate students monthly. If a student tampers with this the teacher and  the staff
would know very quickly. While you could spend years setting up a system which
allows nearly brain dead teachers and administrators from fearing data tampering why
bother.

Open design requires a little extra motivation and pride. Our teaching schedules
could be copied and implemented by any school. I would like to see this happen and
try to learn from it. The problem is that if it were made into a little secret of
that school the system would crash. I designed our system by leading and listening.
As we mature, I teach teaching and listen more. Our begining class system is
rewritten at least once a year. My point is if you spend all your time protecting
yourself you may find out that you have, in the end, very little to protect.

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph
Headmaster
White Horse English
Development Center

PS. Be careful, however, about the profit/non-profit distinction. In order to
operate in freedom we will never be a non-profit school. On the other hand, we can
tell our students parents where all their money goes. Can most non-profit schools
show how wisely they treat the money they receive?

Bruno Vernier wrote:

> I think this is one of the best threads on seul-edu so far!  After 6 years
> of enjoying the huge benefits and fruits of the open source free software
> movement in my work as system administrator, I am very ripe for a similar
> movement in my more important work as a teacher.  I am really really tired
> of the limitations of every single "teacher cooperative" efforts I have
> witnessed in my 20 year career so far (with the hopeful exception of
> seul-edu).  Though we mostly work in the non-profit sector, we guard the
> fruits of our labour as if we:
>
> 1. fear losing our jobs if our "trade secrets" became openly available to
>    the public
>
> 2. hope that this is our big chance to become millionaires.
>
> Furthermore, I see way too many talented teachers working very hard in one
> way or another with no long term reward for themselves or their schools (let
> alone for the cause of providing a free education for all):
>
> 1. sending bug reports, suggestions, writing extension modules that improve
>    the sales of the various commercial educational platforms (yet still
>    forcing the school to pay for yearly licences or upgrades)
>
> 2. working in non-profit associations which impose commercial-style restrictions
>    on the use of their data banks.  (forcing schools to pay for memberships
>    year after year or lose rights-of-use)
>
> 3. pirating software and data banks (yet another bad habit with little hope of
>    sustainability like the above two)
>
> > > Nobody will know if the people downloading the free, online
> > > databases are teachers making quizzes or students making ethical
> > > violations.  Shrug.
>
> Ethical violations?  If it is open content, it would not be unethical! How
> can you pirate open source software?  I think it is high time we made a
> paradigm shift here.
>
> > With an open license, it is only a matter of time before nobody needs
> > to know any longer.
>
> Yes.  I think many of us teachers think that our prime directive is to
> prevent students from "cheating", to continuously guide them to swallowing
> the educational pills as close as possible to how we planned it.
>
> > Imagine a database with 10 million multiple choice questions, a
> > hundred thousand open ended questions and fifty two and a half answers
> > to each open-ended question, and in 50 different languages (translated
> > automatically via something like e.g. the babelfish mechanism -- see
> > http://babelfish.digital.altavista.com).
>
> Good image.  Nonetheless, the "old school" could argue that it would be
> trivial to write a search tool for this database.  So a student doing a
> quiz, can open up a second session and do the database searches so as to
> correctly answer the quiz.  We must deal with the issue head on; secrecy
> through obscurity, complexity or vastness is not sustainable.  The issue is:
>
> CAN we ASSESS students with an OPEN database of course materials and
> test-bank items?

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1