Re: [seul-edu] Online Test System

Roman Suzi wrote:

> As for integration with AUC or something else - I'd not  overdo
> that. The system must work by itself AND be integrable into AUC
> or something else (that is, be included with AUC and  installed
> at the same time, but be completely independent) This will give
> needed modularity to system design and will  allow  independent
> development. It's a pain sometimes to see I can't use something
> if I don't have something else and  syncronizing  distributions
> is also problematic. So, if AUC allows plug-ins, lets use their
> API.

I looked at the AUC site with an eye to how such an online testing
system might be integrated into it.  The logical place would be as
another component of the Interactive Classroom section.  David, are
those tightly tied into the auc.cgi code, or would it be relatively easy
to add other components to various sections?

Since AUC requires MySQL to run that might be a logical candidate for a
data storage engine for this testing system.  Depending on what the
future plans for AUC are vis-a-vis XML, a data format using EduML or
something similar might also be good.  David, are you thinking about
providing teachers with gradebooks and similar administrative tools
within AUC?  If so, we might be able to build on the work of some of the
folks here on gradebooks.

I guess I'm thinking of AUC as the kind of "scaffold" program I
mentioned in an earlier post.  Such a thing would be very nice to have.
Is AUC that type of program?  I don't know enough about its internals to
know.  David, what do you think of this discussion so far?