Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

Doug Loss wrote:
<snip>
> Tim Wilson and Eric
> Sandeen, early on you were listed as working on a gradebook definition,
> but that never got off the ground.  Would you be interested in working
> with others on getting a serious gradebook for Linux going?

I think the existing gradebook definition is actually not in TOO bad of
shape, but I'm sure it could be improved.  I've never seen a Free
Software project work that way, though - where someone posts a list of
features, and someone else goes out and codes it.  :)

I've actually been *slowly* working on my version of a gradebook - I
have a Glade file if anyone is interested.  I'm a novice, though, so I'm
taking time to learn Glade, libglade, libxml, GTK...

My only concern with KTeacher (hrm, I hate saying this...) is that it's
written with Qt.  Not for the normal reasons, though.  My vision (which
I may or may not be able to implement) is a Free Software gradebook that
runs on Windows as well as Linux.  GTK, libxml, etc, can all be compiled
and run under Win32.  Qt has a Windows version, but it's not free speech
OR free beer, so that's out.  That's why I was concentrating on GTK, and
not even planning any Gnome features.

Last note - in looking at EduML for a data format, I've found some
things which I think need to be fixed - or at least things that would
work better for my particular application.  I'll try to summarize them
and post them.  Probably better suited for another thread.

I think I've got some pretty good ideas for the gradebook, including the
GUI, features, etc.  I'd like to collaborate, as well...  I'm certainly
going nowhere fast by myself.  :)

-Eric