Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

>For example, if a school has a network of machines, a teacher should be
>able to open a gradebook application on any machine, and work with his/her
>grade data.  Suppose the registrar deletes a student from the school's
>roster.  This change should be reflected immediately in the school's
>web-based environment and in the gradebook application.  Thus, the
>gradebook needs to do more than just open an XML file and parse it into
>internal data structures using libxml.  Multiple applications need to be

--- snip ---

>, we need to do more than just parse an XML file with
>libxml.  Such functionality would not allow us to share data with other
>applications.  Or am I missing something?
>
>I would appreciate any insight into this problem that anyone has.

Personally, I would like to see the gradebook "application" lean towards
html with php and mysql/postgresql as a database. This would allow for
seamless integration along all lines (I don't know much about X windows
applications, but I would assume that they would be able to access a remote
database, like pgaccess ???)

Most schools I see have Macintoshes in the classrooms (not my school, btw)
PC's in the office and whatever at home for the teachers/students/parents.
Teachers could access their grades at home on their PC, and at school on
their mac. Students and parents could check their grade status using the
same database in a "safe" mode (restricted access, user id #'s).

There shouldn't be dependence on "new" technologies, everything should be
server side, universally accessible, and should focus on delivering
information to whomever needs it on whatever machine they are working ...

well ... that is my $.02 worth ....

Mike
mikE wohlgemutH

A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the conditions
that make it fail.
                -- Jerry Ogdin

http://m67.sail.leon.k12.fl.us/~shred
matH departmenT heaD