Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

At 00:29 09/02/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Personally, I would like to see the gradebook "application" lean towards
>html with php and mysql/postgresql as a database. This would allow for
>seamless integration along all lines (I don't know much about X windows
>applications, but I would assume that they would be able to access a remote
>database, like pgaccess ???)

I should soon be starting to design a PHP/MySQL/Apache/Debian gradebook
kind of thing. I've got a the main specification decided:

   o  Must let students view their current number of points and all their
grades, along with how many more points are needed for a Pass, Merit or
Distinction for the whole course (this is for a UK college, specifically
for those doing a GNVQ, although it will probably be adaptable to other
systems with a bit of tinkering). This would be done using MySQL's column
password access controls.
   o  Must produce printable reports on a list of students. Should be
simple. (ha; my last words...). That includes producing a list of all those
who are behind on which assignments.
   o  Must be able to produce a variable picture (in a list of students)
depending on whether or not students are up-to-date with all assignments
that should have been handed in. Clickety-click on the student name and you
get a screen full of what they've got to do, what's late, and all other
relevant information.
   o  Must be compatible with the current STARS (Student Tracking and
Record System) system that uses a VB frontend with an Access database
(yuck!). ODBC would be useful here, although entering the details manually
wouldn't be hard at all.

I can't think of anything else. The only problem is that the STARS system
is commercially developed in the college itself, and the guy might think
that it'll be a continuation of the current system. I'm going to fight to
the death for a Unix box for this.... (there's also quite a bit of
self-made competition here, just to see if I can do something better than
someone who's employed by the college... (*) .. they want MS SQL Server...
eurgh!)

At the moment I'm mulling over the structure of the actual database. Being
used to Access, it's a bit weird - I always thought relationships were
relationships, not table joins in SQL. Ho hum.

(Possible name: SPAMS - Student Progress and Monitoring System... or maybe
not...)

>There shouldn't be dependence on "new" technologies, everything should be
>server side, universally accessible, and should focus on delivering
>information to whomever needs it on whatever machine they are working ...

My idea precisely :-)

The point of this e-mail is.. umm..... (?)... I'm doing something in
PHP/MySQL. When I get some code I'll let you people know (that's if
anyone's interested, of course). It'll be pretty simple stuff at first (no
fluffy UI, add student, delete/update student, etc), but it should progress
nicely as my interest and knowledge grows.

Cheers,
   Kris

(*) - I'm actually a (17yo) student there. Nothing quite like doing
something better than someone who's supposed to be brainier :-)

(note: everything's dependent upon whether I can get the Linux server in
place instead of NT. Shouldn't be that difficult..)