Re: [seul-edu] Consolidated gradebook effort

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Kris wrote:

> I should soon be starting to design a PHP/MySQL/Apache/Debian gradebook
> kind of thing. I've got a the main specification decided:

Have you looked at Zope? (http://www.zope.org/) There's a new special
interest group that has formed to discuss and design Zope products for use
in education. You can read a bit more at http://www.zschool.org/ The group
is pretty young so there aren't any actual products yet. We're still in
the formative stages.

Quick summary: Zope is an application server (actually "object publisher")
built mostly from Python and integrates very well with SQL databases. The
system is cross-platform running on everything from NT, Unix, and even
BeOS. It's definitely worth a look. I think you'll find that it compares
very favorably with PHP.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson        | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/