[seul-edu] Simplified End User Linux

Um,

  As one of the guys helping put linux in schools (working
with Harry McGregor) I feel that this list has outgrown its
place in SEUL. Is it possible for us to create our own 'area'
of the web and get a domain with a server somewhere specifically
for Open Source in Education. I believe that some/most of the
wonderful software being discussed here may be hard to find
for those who want to help, for instance who is going to check
SEUL for a powerful Teacher/Administration system that can
handle information for 1000+ students.

  We (Harry McGregor others and myself) have installed 2
complete student labs. In our efforts we have come across many
things (glitches, gotchas and inspirations) that we would like
to share with others interested in putting open source in
education. unfortunately there is not a unified site yet for
such things. Grant it there are a few dozen (or more) Sites
out there focused on linux and education, but most of them are
focused on a small part (user, admin. or teacher plus others) of
the whole Open Source in Education Idea. What I feel is needed
is one site where the information we all have can be easily
shared.

  May I encourage that we re-spawn the existing SEUL-EDU as a
new independent group with a focus of Anything Open Sourced for
Anything Education. I feel that we could get VALinux or some
other Linux power to host a site. I would be willing to chip
in the cash for this new group to get a domain. Also I would
help on site and page layout if needed.

	Justin Zeigler(zqc@zqc.com)

Proprietary Bad, Open Good