Re: [seul-edu] Simplified End User Linux

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000, Justin Zeigler wrote:
agmentation of our shared goal.

>   Mailing lists are great but, they make it very hard
> for new people to catch up to the level of those who
> have been on the list for a while. Maybe a page with a
> synopsis of what each thread is about would be more
> helpful to people new to the list.

This is a great idea, and we talked about it a while ago and actually
started a little work on doing it.  Unfortunately, it's a massive task to
mine our email archives for this information.  I'd like to create a few
"sense of SEUL/edu" documents on various topics we've discussed in the past
and put them on the website so people could get an idea of what we've
discussed without having to read through all the past posts.  Ian Bicking
started compiling a list of topics from the archives back in November, but
we haven't progressed beyond that yet.  I'll try to cull and combine Ian's
list into a few topics.  When that's done I'll probably ask for volunteers
to take individual topics and go through the archives revisiting the posts
dealing with them.  They would then distill the discussion and come up with
the basic ideas and areas of agreement and disagreement we came to and
write these up as "sense of SEUL/edu" documents.  How does that sound?

>   Finally just because I suggest a new domain/server does
> not mean I think SEUL/EDU should be done away with or
> branched off. In my opinion there is no reason that
> www.something-edu-linux.com can't just be an intro/news
> page that is a portal or even a redirect to the main
> SEUL-EDU Page.

We're in agreement here, I think.  But I still think Michael's K12 Linux
domain <http://k12linux.org> is the logical place for that, since it
already exists.

--
Doug Loss            There's no trick to being a humorist
dloss@suscom.net     when you have the whole government