Re: [seul-edu] gradebook: HTTP anyone?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 06:29:40 Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
*>
*> >For example, if a school has a network of machines, a teacher should
be
*> >able to open a gradebook application on any machine, and work with
his/her
*> >grade data.  Suppose the registrar deletes a student from the
school's
*> >roster.  This change should be reflected immediately in the school's
*> >web-based environment and in the gradebook application.  Thus, the
*> >gradebook needs to do more than just open an XML file and parse it
into
*> >internal data structures using libxml.  Multiple applications need
to be
*>
*> --- snip ---
*>
*> >, we need to do more than just parse an XML file with
*> >libxml.  Such functionality would not allow us to share data with
other
*> >applications.  Or am I missing something?
*> >
*> >I would appreciate any insight into this problem that anyone has.
*>

Well, here is my personal p-o-v with Pangée.

Given that I did not choose my tools and technologies, I had to adapt
the project to those I was forced to use; but I figured a model that
looks pretty usable to me.

First, let's use a database. It's not XML or anything, but we all know
it's the best solution for storing large chunks of wildly-(un?)organized
data.

Then, we might build a server upon that. He would take that database and
pick just what he needs to build simple responses in XML. The database
can be as complex as needed, and include for example, multiple
dependancies for handling gradebooks, language-learning resources, and
library records, but that's hidden from the client.

The server then needs to interface with the client using a standard
protocol. Let's pick one at random: Oh! HTTP! What a luck, it does just
that, and very well. Http 1.1 even allows putting data onto the server.
That data can be parsed off from XML and fit into the database again.
And Free HTTP libraries are available (see wwwlib from
http://www.w3c.org).

The client thus accesses XML files from HTTP, the database can use
various data representations, and interchange is made easy, no need for
specific import/export filters.

This model seemed to be applicable for educational resources, it could
be handy regarding gradebook management.

Problems include the need to re-incorporate updated data that was cut
down to a mere minimum into the more complex database, but also and
above all the fact that storing data in something else than XML puts XML
off to the rank of a mere interface. It has both the advantage and the
disadvantage of not tying the gradebook tesign to the EduML
specifications.

The solution to these problems would obviously be to use a native XML
database server, as mentionned by someone else.

In case you haven't looked yet, you may find some preliminary design
work using this model on the Pangée Homepage at
http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~ttempe. However, I did not mention XML and
HTTP: "Not enough experience points to acquire this tool! Go back to
Delphi 3", they said.

Please comment on this. I'm about to invest huge amounts on time on
Pangée, so some peer review _will_ be welcome.

Have fun,

Thomas Tempe

--
Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.
                -- R. S. Barton