RE: [seul-edu] CD Server

Over last summer, we brought up a Linux/Samba server for CD imaging to W95
and W98 clients.  We didn't know much about either Linux or Samba, but here
is what I recall doing.  On the server I created a CDIMAGES directory.
Within this directory, I created multiple directories each of which had the
name of the volume id of the CD being copied.  I had read/write share access
to the CDIMAGES directory.

I then inserted the CD to be copied into a W95 client and used W95 SELECT
ALL/COPY/PASTE function to copy the CD to the appropriate directory on the
Linux/Samba server.  Each CD directory was given a share name whose name was
the volume id of the CD.

We then installed any needed software on the W95/98 clients from the CD
image shares.

This has been working well since the start of the school year.

Can anyone who knows Linux better than me (which is probably close to all
Linux users) suggest some optimizations?  For example, what is ISO imaging
and why would it be better?

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System