Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Debian-kids goals (draft)]

Randy Edwards wrote:

> problem:-).  Lately there's been a lot of discussion on the Debian
> developer's mailing list about creating a version of Debian aimed at kids.

What can I say .... Great idea !

> > Making Debian desirable to kids
> > -------------------------------
> > The primary goal of the debian-kids project is to make Debian an OS our
> > kids *want* to run.  This involves some sensitivity to the needs of kids

I believe a cute desktop with their favorite characters and a few icons that
launch games/apps that they like is what kids want. They certainly don't care
about what is running the show.  They just want it to work every time.

> > Working with other kid-oriented free software projects
> > Other projects already exist (e.g. [1]SEUL/edu, [2]Kids Games, and
> > [3]LinuxForKids)  that have goals which overlap and dovetail with our own.

Count me in.

> > The goal is to identify applications within Debian that are suitable for
> > kids and add to that number by packaging ones not yet in Debian.  A

That's what LinuxForKids tries to do.  All the titles I list are in source
tarballs though.

> > Kidproofing and account management
> > ---------------------------------->

Definitely yes ! I have repaired too many windows computer where the kids
deleted system files, moved foldres around, renamed shortcuts, you name it.

There should be a way to "lock" the desktop so the only usable things are a
limited set of icons.
As the child gets older, you can allow an xterm with restricted commands, access
to a compiler and so on.

> > Parental guidance
> > -----------------
> > Give parents the tools to help their kids learn about computers and to put
> > reasonable limits on their access, guiding them towards independent use of
> > the computer as they mature.  For example, many parents will be concerned

I agree. I am for free speech of course, but I don't think a 5 year old should
listen to everybody else's free speech, especially on the internet.  Not that you
should let a 5 year old roam freely on the internet, but we must try to reach a
reasonable medium ground.

> > Kids' System
> > system.  The most ambitious realization of this goal might be a Debian
> > software equivalent of the "toy" computers currently on the market:
> > brightly colored, decal-covered systems pre-loaded with kids software.  It

That would be cool....

I must say I only know Red Hat and Slackware, so I can't really help on Debian
specific issues, but I'd be glad to help on the kids specific issues.

Chris.