Re: [seul-edu] Cooperation on kid-oriented software

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> As you point out, the user interfaces problem isn't covered, and isn't
> specifically "owned" by any of these groups.  It was raised as a subgoal
> of Debian-Jr, but Debian isn't in the business of user interface design,
> nor is Debian-Jr.  It seems the only group above that might have it in
> their mandate is SEUL/edu, so why don't you guys take the lead and we'll
> see what we can do with your work (we, meaning Debian-Jr)?

Er, that didn't come out quite the way I intended it.  There are Debian-Jr
people, either subscribed to seul-edu or not, who may be able to
contribute.  I just don't think if we take ownership of the user
interfaces problem, it'll reach the broadest audience or have the impact
that it should have, than it would if it were an effort coordinated by
SEUL/edu.  We are a work in its infancy, and are narrowly focused on
Debian-specific issues.  Naturally, we have our own ideas and will want to
have some input into the process.  But SEUL/edu would likely bring it all
together better than we would.  Or if not SEUL/edu, then a working group
focused on user interfaces for children (as a good child's user interface
is not really a problem specific to education).  Am I clearer now?

Ben