Re: [seul-edu] Packaging seul-edu apps?

    > It would be nice if there were a more detailed system for
    > listing packages than Freshmeat - some place where a
    > "Distribution status" for each distro could be listed with the
    > following fields (per distro):

    > - Comments: comments from the distro as to status (could include link
    >             to work-in-progress or discussion in public archive)
    > - Version: version(s) available for this distro
    > - Download: link to page(s) at distro web site where package(s) can be
    >             downloaded

    Ben> So, do you think Freshmeat would be interested in this sort
    Ben> of indexing effort?  Or another one of the Linux portal
    Ben> sites?  Perhaps VA's linux.com?

don't forget; we're the same folks now.  ;^)

i'm not sure how much information is needed that's not already
provided by existing resources.  afaik, all current distributions use
one of three forms of packaging:  tgz, deb, or rpm.  each freshmeat
appindex entry can have links to download urls for each of these.  i
appreciate the complication that rpm-based systems aren't as
standardized as deb-based ones, but daniel veillard already does a
good job of tracking rpms across distros with his rpmfind database.
for example:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/gimp.html

if there were an app for which we wanted to track rpms for redhat,
mandrake, caldera, and yellow dog, the rpm download url on freshmeat
could just point to daniel's page.  no need to reduplicate his efforts.

| jeff covey jeff.covey@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~jeff.covey/ 410-669-4926 |
|                         part of a complete breakfast.                      |