RE: [seul-edu] Video Editing in Education

>Hmm, that sounds interesting. I have used Be before and I know it is fast.
>My only concern would then be how to deal with video files. If they are all
>stored on the file server, wouldn't there be a huge network load trying to
>edit them? Or perhaps moving them to each client when they are needed?

a $500 switch(academic price) running at 100mbs with the fileserver acting
as firewall to the outside.  you will not notice the load internally if you
have hardy fileserver, probably with raid.  your bottleneck will be at the
disks as usual.  there is really no need to have the linux file server, if
you have enough space on each system to hold the video files, but since
video can be quite large, I'd use a nice hefty fileserver.  btw, this
should like just the thing for a Sun Academic Equipment Grant, contact your
local sun representative about it and check out their webpage.  if you got
an ultra10 running linux and one of their a1000 raid arrays that would be
more than enough space.

>jmellen

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC     http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/cyber
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech			(yes i need to update it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614  icq 5535471