Re: [seul-edu] New application: WIMS

Felipe Bergo wrote:

> I've just seen this on freshmeat, played a little with the math games, it
> really looks interesting, sorry if it was posted here in past:

> WIMS (WWW Interactive Mathematics Server) is a CGI Web application
> designed to host interactive mathematical educational activities such as
> exercises, computational math, and graphing tools. It features automatic
> score processing with strong anti-cheating mechanisms, virtual classes
> allowing teachers to guide/control student works, online exercise
> creation, animated graphics, a message board allowing inline mathematical
> formulas, and more. It can also be easily used for education within other
> disciplines.

> Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo - Free Software Developer
> bergo@seul.org | guazzibe@ic.unicamp.br | http://143.106.7.13/~guazzibe
> Campinas - SP - Brazil - Earth
>
> * Mainframe: the biggest PC peripheral available.

WIMS is great. At Cochise College we host one of the mirror sites
for WIMS. We use it mainly for a front end to math applications
like Pari-GP, Gnuplot, Maxima, MuPad, Povray, Octave, and other
math applications that our students might encounter at a major
university. For instance, we can't afford a site license for
Mathematica or Matlab (our budget is $300 a year for chalk),
but we can expose our students to Maxima and Octave which are
similar GPL applications for free. WIMS also has message
boards that support Latex/TeX markup and chemical equations.

NEW FEATURE
WIMS has a new search engine called the Distributed Encyclopedia
of Mathematics. It is only accessible from the main WIMS site in
France. It is very useful and I have found a lot of good links
on many topics. To access it click on "Other Web Resources".
(The creation of this feature was partially motivated by the
closure of Mathworld due to a lawsuit with CRC Press.)

http://wims.unice.fr/~wims/wims.cgi

SPANISH TRANSLATION OF WIMS